Red Beans ‘n Rice
Cajun Blaze Red Beans ‘n Rice
So thick, so creamy and so flavorful! The beans are cooked just right – perfectly tender, served with rice and smoky andouille sausage.
- 1 lb dry kidney beans
- 1 lb smoked sausage
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 1 2/3 cup yellow onions chopped
- 1/2 cup celery chopped
- 1 cup green bell peppers chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 Tbsp garlic minced
- 4 cup green onions diced
- 1-2 tsp Cajun Blaze ™ Seasoning
- 1-2 drops liquid smoke optional, cap full amount, to taste
- Soak beans overnight in enough water to cover. This step removes most of the indigestible sugars.
- Drain and rinse beans then set aside.
- Heat oil in medium sized pot over low heat.
- Add flour to oil create roux. Stir consistently for about 20 minutes, or until roux is golden brown.
- Stir in onions, celery, bell peppers, and garlic.
- Add smoked sausage and red beans.
- Add enough water to cover the beans (about 6 cups).
- Season with Cajun Blaze ™ Seasoning, liquid smoke, and bay leaves.
- Cook slowly until beans are tender (about 1 hour) stirring often.
- Serve over steamed rice and garnish with green onions.