Cajun Cornbread Dressing
Cajun Blaze Cornbread Dressing
Cornbread Dressing is a holiday staple in Cajun country and a must for your Thanksgiving, Christmas, and/or Easter table.
Servings: 20 people
Cornbread* (4 times)
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 4 Tbsp butter melted
- 2 lbs ground meat 80/20
- 2 lbs ground pork
- 4 cups chicken broth approx. three 14-oz cans
- 4.5 tsp Cajun Blaze, All Purpose Seasoning
- 9 onions chopped
- 4-5 bell peppers chopped
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- Combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in mixing bowl and mix well.
- Add buttermilk, eggs, and melted butter and mix until large lumps disappear.
- Pour into 9-10" iron skillet (or baking pan). Pro tip: line skillet with butter and sprinkle cornmeal before adding mixture.
- Bake at 375°F for 25 min.
- Remove from skillet, allow to cool in a pan, and break into crumbs. Set aside.
- Repeat the above steps for each pound of meat (i.e. 4 lbs of meat require 4 cornbread recipes)
Meat and Vegetable Mixture
- Brown meat in a large pot.
- Add Cajun Blaze Seasoning, vegetable mixture, and 14-oz of chicken broth.
- Cook down meat/vegetable mixture until vegetables are soft translucent. Take your time on this step to properly cook down and merge the flavors. Don't worry about the excess juice, as the cornbread will soak it up in the final step.
- Mix the cornbread crumbs with meat/vegetable mixture.
- Add remaining chicken broth to maintain desired level of moistness and Bake at 350°F for 25-30 min. Pro tip: If cooking ahead, this step can be done just before serving (more time may be needed to warm if cold).
*Substitution: The Cornbread recipe may be substituted with your favorite cornbread mixture like Jiffy cornbread mix. Use one batch of cornbread (6 cups crumbled) per pound of meat, or four batches of Jiffy’s boxed cornbread (for 4 lbs of meat). *Substitution: The Vegetable Mixture may be substituted with four 16-oz containers of pre-cut Creole Seasoning. A popular local choice is Gudry’s Fresh Cut Creole Seasoning.