Cajun Black Eyed Peas Recipe is a hearty, warm and soulful food. This black eyed peas recipe is smokey, spicy with a wonderful bacon flavor. A Cajun traditional dish, served on New Year’s Day to bring good luck!
Cajun Blaze Black Eyed Peas
- 2 lbs black-eyed peas dried
- 12 cups water
- 8 cubes chicken bouillon
- 1 lbs bacon
- .5 cups butter
- 2 yellow onions chopped
- 1 lbs ham (cooked) bite size
- Cajun Blaze Seasoning, All-Purpose to taste
- Rinse and soak peas in a large bowl overnight (at least 8 hours).
- Strain and discard water from soak.
- Pour 12 cups of water into a large pot, add the bouillon cubes, and bring to a boil. Stir occasionally to dissolve bouillon cubs, add peas, reduce heat, and bring to a simmer.
- Cook the bacon in a separate, deep skillet over medium-high heat (about 10 minutes). Place the bacon slices on a paper towel-lined plate, crumble, and set aside.
- Melt the butter in the pan with the bacon grease. Add the onions in the butter/bacon-grease mixture until they begin to turn brown at the edges (about 10-20 minutes).
- Stir the onions and cooking fat into the peas, add the crumbled bacon, ham, and Cajun Blaze Seasoning (to taste).
- Simmer over low heat for 8 hours until peas are soft. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
Cajun Blaze Seasoning
The Cajun Blaze Seasoning is available for purchase and can now be enjoyed in the comfort of your home. Our Cajun seasoning is made in Louisiana from all natural ingredients. No MSG or gluten added.