Dirty rice is a classic Cajun dish that is typically made with ground meat, chicken livers, and/or gizzards. The variety of meats and spices give the rice its signature “dirty” look, hence the name.
Cajun Blaze Dirty Rice
- 8 oz ground beef
- 1/2 cup chicken livers chopped, about 2.5 oz
- 1 Tbsp bacon grease may use vegetable oil
- 14 oz chicken broth
- 1 onion chopped
- 1/2 bell pepper chopped
- 1 rib celery chopped or minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp Cajun Blaze Seasoning, All-Purpose
- 1.5 cups rice long grain
- Set aside 1/2 cup of chicken broth for meat mixture.
- Use remaining chicken broth (1.25 cups) and 1.75 cups of water to cook rice on stove*.
- In a separate pot, preferable cast iron, heat bacon grease and brown ground meat over medium heat. Be sure to break up into small pieces.
- Add Trinity (onion, celery, and bell pepper) and cook until ground meat is no longer pink and onions are translucent.
- Add chicken livers, garlic, and Cajun Blaze Seasoning. Continue to cook for 5 min.
- Add remaining chicken broth (1/2 cup) and gently scrap bottom of pan with wooden spoon to darken and include all seasoning in "gravy." Simmer for another minute, or until the rice is ready.
- Mix cooked rice in the meat mixture and serve.
Cajun Blaze Seasoning
The Cajun Blaze Seasoning is available for purchase and can now be enjoyed in the comfort of your home. Our Cajun seasoning is made in Louisiana from all natural ingredients. No MSG or gluten added.